The 1946 Skelly All Stars were the first in a long line of El Dorado all star teams sponsored by Skelly Oil Company. The first team was chosen from players in the Junior League who were 14 and under. Later teams would be chosen from the Midget League consisting of players 12 and under and continuing into the 1970's.
The men behind forming the team were E.K. Anderson, a former superintendent of the local Skelly refinery, and Justus O'Reilly, superintendent of the refinery in 1946. Mr. Anderson was transferred to Skelly headquarters in Tulsa and a similar team formed there.
Jim McDonald and Rupert Hartshorn were the coaches and Dan Blaine was the Skelly representative. Players were Duane Auer, Bill Bolin, Pat Brazil, Ben Dalton, Larry Hartshorn, Jim Huttenhoff, Orville Jackson, Hazen Lee, Burt Long, Richard Mannion, David Matheny, Chet McCoy, Jack McDonald, Larry McKown, Pat Murray, Graham Newcomer, Vernon Orndorff, Lewis "Lefty" Smith, Max Smith, Mike Speaker and Floyd Steiner.
This team was not selected for the El Dorado Baseball Hall of Fame based on their record or championships won. They were chosen because of the fact that they were the first of around 30 Skelly All Star teams. The team played a total of eight games, posting a 4-4 record. The highlights of the season were a home and home pair of games with the Tulsa Skelly All Stars. The first game was played in El Dorado before an estimated crowd of 300 with Tulsa winning 14-10 in a 10 inning contest.
The game in Tulsa was played on August 10,1946 in Tulsa's Texas League stadium before an estimated crowd of 1,000. Tulsa won a pitcher's duel that day by a score of 3-2. Bill Skelly, owner of the Skelly Oil Company was on hand to shake hands with each of the players.